Welcome

Proskuneo: to kiss towards or to bow down in reverence. My name is Vic Hammond and I love to curate worship experiences. In this blog you will find my thoughts and reactions to the changes going on within the church and in wider culture. You will also find a variety of resources for use in your own worship gatherings. Each blog entry is tagged with a label/category (reflection, resource, station, liturgy, and news) to make your searching easier. I hope you enjoy your visit.

If you are looking for custom worship resources, music, or booking information please contact me at vic@vichammond.com.

Sunday, October 11, 2009

Pray Without Ceasing

I have recently discovered the daily office or more accurately, I have finally started practicing the daily office after years of mild curiosity. I am hooked. I love this spiritual discipline and am sad I waited so long to start.

Simply explained the daily office (also called fixed hour prayer or the liturgy of the hours) is a set of beautiful prayers prayed at specific times throughout the day. For the hardcore, you can do this seven times a day. I like doing it three times a day.

Fixed hour prayer is the oldest spiritual discipline in the church stretching back to ancient Judaism. This type of prayer was regularly practiced in the early church, the medieval church, and even through the Reformation years. Fixed hour prayer fell out of use in American Protestantism, but is alive and well in Orthodox, Anglican, and Catholic traditions.

I use s series of books called The Divine Hours by Phyllis Tickle instead of an actual denominational prayer book. Tickle prints everything you need for three sets of prayers each day. A Prayer book comes with a steep learning curve and requires endless flipping back and forth to find the assigned prayers and readings.

Are these long winded time killing affairs? No. In a rush I can pray an office in 5 or 6 minutes. Taking time to contemplate and drink more deeply from these prayers takes longer of course. I was surprised to find that when I miss a day, I become miserable and long for those moments spent in beautiful prayer.

No comments: