Welcome

Proskuneo: to kiss towards or to bow down in reverence. My name is Vic Hammond and I love to curate worship experiences. In this blog you will find my thoughts and reactions to the changes going on within the church and in wider culture. You will also find a variety of resources for use in your own worship gatherings. Each blog entry is tagged with a label/category (reflection, resource, station, liturgy, and news) to make your searching easier. I hope you enjoy your visit.

If you are looking for custom worship resources, music, or booking information please contact me at vic@vichammond.com.

Friday, March 28, 2008

The Rabbit


As most of you know, I now work fulltime and attend Belmont University fulltime. So, blogging has taken a backseat to the insanity of my new life. However, I still think about blogging all the time and suddenly find myself with an extra few minutes and a thought.

I found this Dallas Willard quote on Bob Buford’s website, ACTIVEenergy.net. “One of my favorite stories,” Dallas continued, “is about the dog races down in Florida. You know, they train these dogs to chase an electric rabbit, and one night the rabbit broke down and the dogs caught it. But they didn’t know what to do with it. They were just leaping around, yelping and biting one another, totally confused about what was happening. Well, I think that’s a picture of what happens to all sorts of people who catch the rabbit in their life. Whether it’s wealth or fame or beauty or a bigger house, or whatever, the prize isn’t what they thought it would be. And when they finally get it, they don’t know what to do with their lives. This is a huge factor in finishing badly: people need a rabbit that won’t break down. But that’s not something the superficial values of this world can really give them.”

I don’t know about you, but I greatly fear finishing badly. I fear becoming distracted by physical things or issues that in the end don’t really matter. I fear catching the wrong rabbit and then realizing that what I chased and fought for was for naught. I want to finish well.
This is an issue on the forefront of my mind these days as I contemplate life after school. On one hand, I understand chasing the rabbit of the big picture; the faith rabbit. I desire to serve the Kingdom of God for all of my days and specifically to be a follower in the way of Jesus. That rabbit I get. It’s the smaller sized rabbits that confound and distract me. They tend to be flashier and more immediate.


In this Lindsey and I pray that we can live in community one day with a group of people willing to be open about these issues. A community that interprets each other’s lives in the light of the Holy Spirit. A community that helps keep the right rabbit locked in our sights.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

well said

(great to hear from you Vic!)

davidloti=davidloti

Serendipity said...

Whoa! A new post! And a fine one at that! Thanks, Vic!

--Becky B.

Anonymous said...

Hey Vic,

It'd be cool if you did a post about how you and Lindsey got engaged. that's a cool story.

davidloti=davidloti