Welcome

Proskuneo: to kiss towards or to bow down in reverence. My name is Vic Hammond and I love to curate worship experiences. In this blog you will find my thoughts and reactions to the changes going on within the church and in wider culture. You will also find a variety of resources for use in your own worship gatherings. Each blog entry is tagged with a label/category (reflection, resource, station, liturgy, and news) to make your searching easier. I hope you enjoy your visit.

If you are looking for custom worship resources, music, or booking information please contact me at vic@vichammond.com.

Friday, June 8, 2007

Fastfood Christianity

A Lifetime of attending church, Sunday School classes, and weekly bible studies; and yet I learned more about living as a Christian in three encounters at McDonald's than in all those church activities combined.

OK, maybe there's more than a little hyperbole there, but check this out. One day I'm eating lunch and this homeless guy abruptly plops himself down at my table. His story/sales pitch was good. He had me hooked from the first sentence with just the right blend of hard luck mixed with pulling oneself up by the bootstraps. I really enjoyed talking to the guy and gave him the cash in my wallet to help out.

Fast forward three days and I am eating dinner after a long day at work at the same McDonald's ( I know, my wife rags me about eating there too). Suddenly the same homeless guy walked in and sat down at my table. He launched into the exact same spiel as before. I finally got a word in edgewise and dismissively told him that I'd heard the pitch before and that he'd already hit me up for cash once that week.

When I said that, he jumped up and stormed across the lobby mad as heck. Over his shoulder he yelled, "Maybe you heard it before, but it don't change the fact that I still need help and that I'm still hungry!" I felt awful.

Encounter Two: One month later I was ordering breakfast at different McD's drive through on my way to church. I was the worship leader that morning and running really, really late. The woman taking my order wouldn't pay attention. I had wait forever to be acknowledged and then I had to repeat my order three times (a sausage biscuit) before she got it. I was mad and got super sarcastic with her. I did my best to put that woman in her place. As she handed me my food, she simply said, "Why you so dressed up? You belong to a church? I can tell." Ouch. I really advanced the Kingdom that morning.

Encounter Three: A few weeks later at yet another fine McD's lunch I was interrupted again. This time it was a well dressed middle class guy. Let's call him evangelism guy. He had been lying in wait watching me eat and sensed the Lord telling him that he should come sit with me, tell me about Jesus, and pray for my lost soul. Obviously he'd just graduated from the Wednesday night evangelism class at his church. He was visibly relieved when I let him off the hook and he made a quick exit out the side door. I guess he'd fulfilled what ever requirement he needed in order to pass the class. But my encounter with him got me to thinking about how he was just following a script/program and not really concerned with me as a person.

Intellectually I understand Jesus' incredible love for the people he met during his lifetime. He modeled the importance of relationships, community, and loving your neighbor. But I fear that as much as I disdain what the evangelism guy did, I'm not much different. I'm guilty of reducing evangelism to some type of program: three sure fire steps to winning the lost, free bottled water or the speech that conquers all objections.

The McD's encounters have given me a real sense of freedom. I am realizing that the "structured evangelism" I learned over the years caused me to miss the point most of the time. Instead of winning souls or conquering the lost I need to slow down and just love people in the small moments of my day. Maybe as I love in the little things doors might open for bigger encounters down the road. Or maybe not. Either way, it's in these little moments that the imprint that Christ has on our hearts has a chance to become visible



6 comments:

Sam Davidson said...

Great thoughts here.

lynnette said...

ok so i know this is not at all the point of your post, and for that i apologize in advance. but you have GOT to stop eating so often at mcdonalds.

Anonymous said...

I think I sometimes feel uncomfortable around people who beg because I know that I really feel uncomfortable with myself--knowing just how I am likely to react.

>sigh<

God have Mercy on us! Give us Your Grace!

davidloti=davidloti

Dana said...

I agree. You made some really valid points. I think that overall, as Christians, we are so busy doing "Christian Activities" that we don't slow down enough to see the real needs of people around us.

Anonymous said...

Yeah I was going to say: you need to eat at the BK Lounge instead of McDs! HAHAHA.
Dude, I find this surprising. Coming from the guy that epitomized sharing community w/ people down here in BR. We tend to get into talks about the homeless more and more now for some reason (maybe Katrina) and I always felt assured that b/c "I couldn't be sure what they'd use the money for" that I was let off the hook to help someone out in need. What I find over and over in scripture though is that we are called to give. Not called to search out intent but to showcase love and generosity. Plus, if I look at my spending habits, sometimes I'm appalled at what I spend on myself in waste.
Great thoughts man. You've got me babbling :)

Anonymous said...

What did the Good Samaritan do? Did he give the beat-up guy some cash and move on, feeling as if he'd done his par for humanity? No, he stopped, picked him up, brought him to an inn, paid for a room, medication, food, and made arrangements w/ the innkeeper. He did not give the guy a few denari and feel good about it. The beat-up guy needed tangible, hands-on help, and that’s what he got.

Using that as my example, I do not give cash to people in need. If these people have gotten to such a place where they must beg, they’re probably not the best stewards of their assets anyway. I had a guy in a McD’s tell me he was hungry, and I bought him a value meal, super-sized it, and added on 2 apple pies for the road. I met his need. I’ve also had the situation where a gal told me she needed money for groceries for her kids. I offered to take her to the store and buy her groceries, only to hear reasons why “no, that won’t work, I just need the cash.” I’ve offered to go to the utility co. w/ a guy to pay on his electric bill when he tells me he and his kids would be without power.... but he says “no, here’s why that’s a problem, and they really just need cash instead.” In both situations, I’m sorry -- I can’t help you. Jesus met people’s needs, so that’s what I try to do. What Jesus was NOT was a doormat, and neither am I.