Welcome

Proskuneo: to kiss towards or to bow down in reverence. My name is Vic Hammond and I love to curate worship experiences. In this blog you will find my thoughts and reactions to the changes going on within the church and in wider culture. You will also find a variety of resources for use in your own worship gatherings. Each blog entry is tagged with a label/category (reflection, resource, station, liturgy, and news) to make your searching easier. I hope you enjoy your visit.

If you are looking for custom worship resources, music, or booking information please contact me at vic@vichammond.com.

Monday, October 20, 2008

Patrick Swayze Was My Role Model

Patrick Swayze and Tom Cruise taught me everything I know about being a husband and how to treat my wife. It is sad but true. After Lindsey and I got married we weren’t quite sure how a husband and wife were supposed to act. After all, neither of us had ever been married before and we weren’t quite sure how to treat each other, talk to each other, or think about each other. So, we turned to what we knew: Pretty Woman, Top Gun, and Dirty Dancing.

Our individualistic/isolated/short cut lifestyle made it impossible to invest the kind of time and stillness necessary to understand the covenant we had just entered into. After some frustrating and confusing struggles of trying to figure out why marriage on the big screen didn’t help our marriage in real life, we finally received the wisdom we sought.  We set our eyes upon and imitated couples around us whom we admired greatly.

I am realizing that my faith often falters in the same way. I find myself frequently imitating Evangelical pop culture instead of Christ. I substitute cheap and easy behaviors for the life Christ has called me to imitate.  I bury myself in silly things like speaking Christian-eze or listening to the right radio station or  being seen at the appropriate church function and call that being faithful.

I long to keep my eyes focused on the author of my faith who so clearly demonstrated a life of service and care for others while mired in the everydayness of life. I look forward to getting my hands dirty as soon as I finish putting my new icthus on the back of my car. 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I feel your "pain". God had to slap me, as my wife often follows suit in doing, and wake me to the fact that He wants a relationship, not religion. Check out Matthew 15:8-9.